Monday, February 03, 2014

Reality...

When you think about it -most of life is made up of mundane every day tasks. The weekend was full of those kind of tasks and about getting ready to return to the real world...because today I go back to work - hows that for a dose of reality? 

I'd really like to come up with a way to maintain the feeling of "anything is possible" that I have when I'm on holidays . I love just pottering about , having creative ideas float through my head because there aren't 234 other things going through it, and thinking "I can do that tomorrow" instead of "if I don't do that right now it wont get done".

Time just slips away when you're on holidays....I'm not sure where the last three weeks have gone or exactly what I've done in them either. I made jam and finished a few quilts, I went away for a few days and spent money on house decor but what else did I fill my time with?

So yesterday, I washed clothes, and tidied the house and I cleaned out the fridge and the freezer and realised that my freezer appears to be the halfway point for dying bananas before they end up in the bin...and also that somehow they must breed while in a state of suspended animation because I'm sure I didn't put 20 of them in there...


I spent some time playing with this project, sewing binding. Much of my spare time last week was taken up with copious amounts of quilting on this project and I can't wait to show it to you. For the first time ever I'm completely happy with my quilting on a project. 



And I found my key card for work so I can actually get into the building this morning. I did think about calling in and saying that I couldn't find it therefore couldn't come to work but I suspect my boss wouldn't fall for that one...she's pretty clever at reading between the lines. 

The main reason I've popped in this morning is to show you a baby quilt I'm gifting today which is made from vintage chenille from my stash. I love making girly quilts and this one was a joy to make. I am in love with the stripey binding. It's also another finish from my Finish Along List for this quarter. That's three done from 7. Surely this creative streak will have to end soon? 



Stick around for Cocktail Wednesday later this week . I have a feeling I'm going to need a drink by mid week....lets the games begin! 



Linking up to A Stitch In Time February Finishes Linky Party over at Elizabeths !

February Finishes




29 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

Surely it hasn't been three weeks already! Maybe you've got it wrong and you're accidently going back to work a week early. Your vintage Chenille quilt is so pretty, I can just imagine how soft and lovely it is to touch. Can't wait to see the hexie quilt too. You do have a lot to show for your holiday!

Kate said...

It's such a downer when holidays are over. The first hour at work is usually sufficient to convince one of that. Hope things go smoothly.

The vintage chenille quilt is lovely. It looks so soft, both in texture and in palette.

Katy Cameron said...

Huh, those holidays flew by!

All bananas are evil and must be eliminated...

I'm definitely getting worried at this rate of finishes ;o) I spot Pooh though!

Helsie said...

Love the chenille quilt, the colours are delightful. Pity you have to go back to work, I must say I enjoy not working very much !!!

Mistea said...

Lucky baby that gets wrapped up in your pretty squishy quilt.
Hope they let you relax back into your chair before everybody demanded something right now!

Three Birds Inspired said...

Sweet quilt! Using vintage chenille for a baby quilt never crossed my mind. What a great project. Now you KNOW I will be on the hunt in every thrift store I see!

Sue SA said...

Love the vintage chenille quilt. I have pinned a Scottie dog pillow to make out of chenille, but definately going to hunt out some vintage stuff from the op shop now! Hope you have a great week back at work. PS I have a freezer full of black bananas, just waiting for me to make a banana cake...perhaps when its not 40C!

Cath said...

love the vintage chenille......very special as it can be so hard to find all those chenille patterns. good luck for first day back at work!
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Love that little girls quilt. Stripy binding always snazzy.

Think I'll join you for cocktails on Wednesday - as long as you dont put cucumber in!

Cheers

Linda

Unknown said...

seems to me you got lots done over your holiday. I'm retired now and seem to be just wasting so much of the day, sure I get the house work done but the days fly by and I am left wondering just what did I achieve. I was much more organised when I worked. Have a great day back at work, best wishes Wendy

Larri said...

Vacations and holidays disappear far too quickly, but look at all you managed to pack into yours! And that chenille quilt is utterly gorgeous. Lucky, lucky girl.

Here's hoping your first day back goes without a hitch. Looking forward to cocktail Wednesday. Happy Monday!

Marg said...

Are you sure you didn't miscalculate and you've only had two weeks off, it seems like just yesterday you were going on hols.
Love the chenille baby quilt, that's going to be one very lucky recipient.
You can come and clean out my fridge and pantry thank you.

beth said...

Love that soft pretty quilt!

seabreezequilts said...

You have been very productive, I complete half of this weeks life book project. It was just too dam hot to venture into the sewing room again for more painting. I'm kinda hating work myself at the moment, the promised slow period in Jan just didn't happen and I have a stack of work piling up, and computers aren't cooperating since another big change on them over the last couple of weeks . Really sick of my one on one telephone time with the IT guy every morning. Boss rang me today and said to me "are you in a bad mood?" Luckily I'm at the point of laughing all the crap instead of going to cry in the corner.... though that might change tomorrow. There's my whine for the week, hope your pile of work after 3 weeks wasn't to excessive.

Cardygirl said...

Hope today wasn't too traumatic! Love the chenille.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation. Three weeks is almost two long, though. It gets you to thinking about what it would be like to not have to work at all. Hope you have a good week back at work

Michelle Ridgway said...

Very cute little quilt. Love stripey binding. It's a bummer how quickly the hold fly by.

Michelle Ridgway said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Love the Chenile Quilt...have a Good Week.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

Love the baby quilt! I hope the baby loves it :) Emma, who is 10, still sleeps with her baby blanket.

Sorry you have to return to work! I'm sitting here in a very quiet house - we have another snow day. Looking out our big living room window, and I can't even see the next hill over, the air is pure white.

Hope your week isn't too stressful!

Sooli said...

Hey, I have those exact same bananas in my freezer too! The buggers do breed, I'm sure of it. Every now and then I actually do some cooking and use them in some muffins but it doesn't happen as often now that I'm a quilter! Sucks when holidays end.

audrey said...

Really too bad that your holiday is already over. I'm always amazed at how many ripe bananas are lurking around in the freezer too. My daughter assures me that she uses them for smoothies, but hmmm... they seem to be taking over!

Terri said...

You did quite a lot on your holiday. More than I get done in 3 weeks. (Sometimes you just have to let the cleaning go for a time when you don't feel creative. It'll keep until then.)
I love the colors of your baby quilt. (Same as the X's quilt I'm working on, so of course I like the colors.) It'll be a touchy feely quilt made from that fabric.
Hugs

thea said...

January flew by and I wasn't even on holiday. That's one reason I blog, or try to, so I don't forget the things I do, even the mundane ones.

Love your finishes! Looking forward to your Wednesday post.

Noela said...

Glad you enjoyed your holidays. January just flew by, guess I can't hope for a slow February can I?. Hope your first day at work went well. Hugs.....

Paulette said...

Overripe bananas end up in freezer purgatory here too. Can't wait to see your finished quilt in its entirety! Love the chenille baby quilt.

Pokey said...

I think time steals away when we get the gift of a break from work. I notice that every time, myself! I think my frozen bananas are up to a full dozen now. That baby chenille is such a wonderful gift, I'd be hard pressed to give it away ~
:-} pokey

SIMPLESEW said...

stopping by from the Linky party Stitch in Time

Elizabeth said...

Three weeks on holiday with nothing whatsoever pressing for my time? Sounds like heaven to me.

I love your pretty chenille quilt! The colors and textures are amazing. Your chenille stash is awesome and this quilt is going to be loved and cuddled to death. Awesome finish and thanks for linking up!

xo -E