Sunday, February 23, 2014

RIP Irving....And Snippets from My Week

My iron had a rather unfortunate accident this week where he pulled a Humpty Dumpty and fell off the washing machine.  Mr. P subsequently found out Irving had died when he went to iron his work shirt on Friday morning. Guess who went to work in a slightly crinkly shirt?

So it was off to buy a new iron this weekend. Mr. P was dragged along with a lot of eye rolling happening. There are a dizzying array of irons available and I'm quite the iron snob (which is ironic given I don't iron clothes) so finding one that I could bond with wasn't an easy task. Anyway, eventually I found my sole mate (pardon the pun) so meet Izzy who so far is proving herself to be a real workhorse. 


The sole plate on this will look pristine for about a week and then it'll look like I haven't cleaned it ...ever. Even when I have.

There was also a trip to the hardware store this weekend and it was my turn to eye roll at Bunnings while Mr. P got excited about all manner of shit I have no idea about. We were buying paint for the guest room which I will be slapping on walls next weekend while Mr. P is off enjoying 4 days of motor sport at the Clipsal 500.  

I had a doctors visit last week. I got the anti smoking lecture which I tried to divert a little by pointing out that I'm also quite fat. Apparently this didn't come as any big news to Dr. Ben and so with the focus (temporarily) off my potential lung cancer and onto my possible heart attack, this week has been full of salad and vegetables and fruit and non white bread and healthy lunches instead of steaks slathered in butter sauce, and pies and chips and takeaway asian and chicken packs for lunch.  I seriously feel like murdering people most of the time and all I can think about are Tim Tams and chips , and massive wheels of cheese.

I slipped on Wednesday night and "accidentally" inhaled some salt and vinegar chips when Mr. P was out at 8 Ball. Then I took a bag of chocolate sultanas to bed with me and hid the empty packet in my underwear drawer before Mr. P got home. I felt so dirty - but it felt so good. I was totally busted when Mr. P got home because apparently I was angelically asleep with chocolate around my mouth. 

On Wednesday I made a snap holiday decision for 2014. We're heading off to stay here. I've already booked our flights and accommodation ( and yes - we are staying in one of those darling little chalets on the water) 


 And we're going to sit by this pool and drink cocktails...I promise I won't mention it again until at least three months before we leave. 


And garden plans abound at Maison Pyjamas. Various parts of the lawn have been poisoned in preparation for garden beds to be dug so some plants can go in over the next month or so.  This is my dodgy kindergarten style plan because I'm a visually creative type. 


 I went and raided Sister of Pyjamas Hibiscus hedge for multiple cuttings today because I want to bring this front yard re-do in for pretty much nothing over the course of this year. I hear that's possible if you're savvy - what I know about gardening at this point could be engraved on the head of a pin so it looks like I'm going to be learning as I go. Tips will be most welcome starting with anyone who knows how to strike and keep hibiscus alive.


And for my last trick of the weekend, the Postage Stamp quilt is all quilted. Now I just have to find the mojo to get the binding done.


May the start of your week be kind to you ..I'm keeping my fingers crossed!



26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well at least your new iron looks pretty :) I can only offer you one gardening tip sorry - concrete the lot and paint it green ;)

Wendy said...

The iron I am currently using is about fifteen years old, but is on it's last legs or should I say sole plate. The cord has frayed and the plate is so covered with the glue from visolfix it can't be removed. I hate shopping for house goods so I keep putting it off. My gardening motto is "if it dies try something else" My mother had a large hibiscus that grew against a brick chimney, dad decided it would be a great idea to prune it, and by prune I mean cut it almost down. Mum freaked, swear words flew around for days but it grew back as large and healthy as it used to be. Best wishes Wendy

Kirsten's Cooking said...

At least make me one promise: when you decide to live in the chalet (because who wouldn't - will you have your own butler?), that you'll continue to blog? You can give yourself a month or so.....

I think you should have at least one cheat day a week.

Kate said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty much in the same boat on learning to love salads. We had bio-metric screenings at work this week and my numbers look much worse than last year. In one area they told me exercise was the best way to get better numbers.

I hate having to buy a new iron. I get so comfortable with the old one. Funny how different they are.

Love the postage stamp quilt! Love all those bright colors.

Katy Cameron said...

Aww, poor Irving... Still Izzy's looking smart (for now)

I'm laughing at the smuggled sultanas, did arguing that there was fruit involved not help? ;o)

My holiday plans aren't bad for this year, but no chalets over blue seas or swimming pools for me *sigh*

As for gardens, well, there's a reason why I don't have one...

Marg said...

It's always a bummer when you need to find a new iron. They never seem to be as good as the old one.

Salads???? Really???

Good luck with striking those cuttings!!!!!!!!!

Dianne Neale said...

We have the same iron - well more or less. I'm very happy with mine. It's been around a few years, and still works well despite abuse - being left on for hours and hours on end. And the plate stays pretty clean too!

The holiday looks fantastic. Where is it?

Dianne Neale said...

We have the same iron - well more or less. I'm very happy with mine. It's been around a few years, and still works well despite abuse - being left on for hours and hours on end. And the plate stays pretty clean too!

The holiday looks fantastic. Where is it?

AnnieO said...

I never thought of naming an iron, but I hope that Izzy does a good job for years.
I do wish you'd stop smoking but the eating stories are priceless!
Vacation? What's that? Haven't had one in years...and never in an adorable chalet on stilts.
Woohoo on postage stamp! How could you stop when you're so close to a Real Quilt? Get that mojo in gear! Izzy will help.

Diane-crewe said...

hope Izzy is continuing to be good x now all you have to do is concentrate on the holiday and how good you will feel for having lost a little weight xx this from the woman with NO will power xx

Rachaeldaisy said...

You had me chuckling through this post. Happy new iron!! Izzy certainly looks built for business! You're so good at planning holidays and actually booking them. Just think of the bikini you can wear if you stick to your healthy vegies. Your landscape plan is brilliant, awesome cut and paste skills, you're off to a good start with that bucket of hibiscus, just stick them in the dirt and in a years time you'll be showing us photos of big colourful blooms. Good on you for quilting your postage stamp quilt!! You can keep busy binding it to keep your mind off eating chocolate saltanas...

Sue SA said...

I have tried and failed to strike cuttings, but that is only because I forget to keep them in a warm spot and keep moist, eg mist them with spray bottle.
Love the postage stamp quilt, gorgeously colourful and pretty!
Hmmm when ever I try to go on a diet I fail because I focus about what I have given up. So now I try and add one thing at a time eg. substitute wholemeal bread for white. Or add fruit to my lunch each day. Love the holiday destination! I am the queen of cheap irons, as mine seem to fall off the ironing board on a weekly basis, think they might be objecting to the state the ironing board cover is in!

Lorraine said...

Great effort with the postage stamp quilt...it looks amazing! I don't iron much at all but have four irons - a couple of travel ones for retreats and the like one that was in my sewing room (upstairs) in the previous house and one that was permanently set up in the lounge room (also in the previous house) for the ex who LOVED to iron stuff - I don't miss him or the ironing board in the lounge room! So I won't be needing to shop for a new iron anytime soon I don't think. I hope your garden plan comes to fruition....I love my garden probably because I didn't have anything to do with planting anything....it cost me an arm and a leg to have it done, but I consider it money well spent as I have a thumb that is definitely not green! Hope you didn't hurt yourself falling off the "diet" wagon....

the running hare said...

I laughed my way through most of your post ! I live in a part of the UK with one of the highest obesity and smoking rates.
I hate having to find a new iron, it never seems as good as the one before! I'm very jealous of your chalet on stilts ( where is it?). The postage stamp quilt looks fab!

the running hare said...

I laughed my way through your post! I live in a part of the UK with one of the highest rates of smoking and obesity. Health education doesn't seem to work here.
I hate having to buy a new iron, too much choice and it never seems to be as good as the last one.
I have taken many cuttings but never of hibiscus ( too cold here) so can't advise.
Your postage stamp quilt is looking fantastic. I'm very jealous of your chalet on stilts, where is it?

seabreezequilts said...

My diet has pretty much gone down the toilet, drawing a line in the sand this week though and plan to walk every day now the hip is just about right. Love the postage stamp quilt hat you for the holiday destination though looks georgious .

Jennifer said...

That is one great postage stamp quilt! Wow, you are way up there with the techneratti, aren't you......some people have an i-pad, or an i-phone, but you have an i-ron......sorry about that, I couldn't resist.....

Michelle Ridgway said...

Iron aversion here too. I am sure mine commit suicide because they constantly leap off the ironing board. Re: healthy eating....I feel your pain. Do normal folks dream about Tim Tams???? Postage Stamp is gorgeous as is the new hol.destination!

Leanne said...

I am always exhausted after reading your posts. You do so much it makes me feel like a slug. LOVE your postage stamp quilt. Hopefully the choc sultanas where worth fully off the wagon for.

Brandie said...

You crack me up! It's always a pleasure to read your posts. It's a great start to my day.

audrey said...

Always fun to catch up with your week! Glad you found a new iron to bond with. Can't imagine doing without! Good luck with all your new changes. Sounds like you'll need more than good mojo for some of it.:)

Lou - Max and Louise Pattern Co said...

I love the way you write and the honesty is which you do it.
I had a laugh as I think about my hidden bullet packet!
Love the chenille on the back of your quilt.
Your holiday destination looks beautiful.

Elizabeth said...

If I lived close, I would bring you all kinds of cuttings. I hope your gardening plans go off well. I haven't been serious about gardening in several years (not enough time, and frankly, I like sewing better), but I really want to get back to it this summer.

I love the postage stamp quilt! So pretty!

And where are you going on holiday? It looks amazingly lovely!

Choosing a new iron is such a chore. What if you pick a bad one? Then what? The chore begins again. I hope that Izzy is a good and faithful companion.

xo -E

Unknown said...

Just think of all the healthy exercise you will get gardening. Great time of year to start a new garden. I love pottering in mine. Love your quilt, well done. BUT, your holiday plans look AmAZing! Sharyn:)

Brenda said...

Jealous of your vacation destination, but what a great thing to look forward to. You made me laugh out loud with the "fat" comment at the dr.s- hahahaha. Love your garden layout plan and your quilt is gorgeous!

Vesuviusmama said...

I am famous for craving unhealthy foods and for only giving in when my uber-healthy hubby and his judgmental eyes aren't watching. When I finally come visit, we can secretly eat crap food together.